Monday, July 04, 2011

We Went To The Fund Raiser

The children are home on holidays for the next two weeks, and what with outings and the way they like to hog the computer, posting may be scarce from my end. Next week could be even worse, as we are expecting my sister and her kids to stay. All of which means I ought to put down the doings of this last weekend while I have a chance.

So. Friday Night. Fixit went out with some mates, and the boys and I grabbed some chicken and chips and drove out to deepest darkest Camberwell for the Opening of the Great Hottie Challenge. We heard Hottie Organiser Extraordinaire (aka Ms CurlyPops) speak -and got a little teary when she did- and wandered round the exhibition several times enjoying the variety and skill and love and creativity that had gone into the making of all those hottie covers. I had to adjust mine because my Chilean Rescue Shuttle (a crocheted cover over a toilet roll) had got a bit misshapen in transit and the the little toy miner dude inside it was nowhere to be seen. (If you go to the exhibit and you can't see him & his little pick-axe, could you please give it a little tweak?) I gave the boys some money to put in the vote-for-your-favourite tins, and although they really only wanted to vote for mine -and thank goodness they did or the tin would have been empty- I persuaded them to pick two others that they liked. Both boys favoured the penguin.

100_2311

Saturday morning was tap: this photo of the stretching session is courtesy Mister Fixit. We gave him an early birthday present; a shiny new ipod touch. His old nano ipod died and K-mart ran a good special, so our normal spending limitations *ie no cash because of vets' bills* were temporarily suspended. EVERYONE wants to play with the new i-a-pod. Saturday was also catching up with Nell, back from holidays and my Mum, visiting from Sydney.

IMG_0022

Sunday was soccer. My Mum braved the bitter Melbourne chill to watch with us as Climber's team, after weeks of defeats, and to the great joy of the watching parents (because seeing your kid's team get whupped week after week is quite dispiriting) played some great football to win 2-nil. This is them at the end of the game; Climber was so ecstatic that he obviously wanted to throw a backflip, but lacking those actual skills meant that he just dived on the ground and rolled around. Our coach is walking like a proud man too.

100_2323

We celebrated with lunch in a caff, then we brought Mum back to our house, to give her birthday cake (that's my Aunt on the right, she came to pick Mum up) ...

DSC_7030

... and her presents. You see her wearing the Queen Anne Lace crocheted scarf I've been working on for a few months now. Now what am I going to do while waiting for swimming lessons to finish, hmm??

DSC_7042

11 comments:

  1. I tried to tweak the little miner when I arrived too, as he was hiding and facing the wrong way! Will definitely make sure to check when I go back again. Thankyou so much for coming along.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely scarf! And yay Climber's team! I LOVE that you did a Chilean miner shuttle. So clever!

    Happy Birthday to your Mum. I think you should get started on something for Christmas while you wait at lessons.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another Queen Anne Lace scarf! That's my go-to swimming craft.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love that last pic of your mum and your boys. Just gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely photos Stomper. Our boy's footy team has been thrashed soundly for years... this year they will make finals. I still cheer for the other team when they score because I've Been There - last weekend the score was 122 to 7.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ok So lots to address in this post.

    Know those dispiriting soccer results all too well - and the elation of a win.

    Family resemblance between your boys and your mum is quite striking.

    So glad you are getting time with your mum - the first few months of grief are obviously and especially tough.

    That scarf! So going to make it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great post!

    But I am particularly laughing (not in a spiteful way) at Librarygirl's footy score.

    ReplyDelete
  8. gorgeous scarf..my crafty mojo seems to have disappeared..

    how is Mr Basil doing??

    ReplyDelete
  9. The hottie challenge looks like such a great exhibition. I love the birthday cake photo (and always enjoy seeing the kid-related stuff on people's walls).

    ReplyDelete
  10. That last photo is great, and the scarf looks fabulous.

    Hope the 'holidays' go well with all the busy-ness.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Aww, extra sorry I didn't make it on Friday night now, I was feeling a bit poorly, and was going to bring my kid too! She would have had fun meeting the boys. Her basketball team sounds like the footy team, us parents are more upset than the kids, though, but we are getting a bit tired of the whuppings! Gorgeous scraf!

    ReplyDelete

Don't let the cat get your tongue.